Next up and available to stream or download at ITUNES, AMAZON and all your streaming weapons of choice is ‘Man in Yellow’. An infectious slice of indie disco with cover art from none other than The Veloist- Michael Valenti
Press play and enjoy
VELODIO Playlist on Spotify below.
Man In Yellow- Listening notes
This song is one of those ephemeral joys that visit your muse fleetingly. It all came together pretty quickly. The joy of simplicity. I had the lyric ‘ when all else fails’ bouncing around my mind since the Interview with Michael Valenti, I kept thinking that his throwaway line ” When all else fails you follow yellow right?” was a chorus line in the making. Then one night somewhere between playing with the kids and dinner I started noodling on the guitar before I knew it I was riffing on a simplistic three-chord wonder with a rhythm along the lines of Ryan Admas – New York- New York and the lyrics started flowing. Get my phone for me boys’ need to get this down on voice recorder. Before I knew it I’ve got a chorus and two verses on my hands. That very night, with a wine bottle in hand I retired to the studio to put the bones of the song down that you hear today.
It was only natural that I would name drop Michael as a musical dof of the cap and thank you. The majority of what is heard on the release is from this original sketch session recorded in Ableton. The plan was to go back and re-record all the parts but loved the feel, vibe and rawness of the session. So pretty much demo guitars and vocals have survived in the final cut.
The track demo was laid down very quickly. I got fellow Rouleur Neil Lawson to add some riffage and then, I wasn’t going to add any bass as the song was holding up good, but couldn’t resist the temptation to invite our Citisin cohort and bassist Andy Hume into the studio who always hears the music between the notes. see what it would do to the track. He practically nailed it in a few straight through takes. The dudes are gifted musician’s.
Andy & Neil laying doon the Bass and Lead in the summer house in the winter
- The song is a story of a weekend fuelled by morning bike rides and afternoon/night trips into Glagow with the wife. The country club ( a tongue in cheek colloquial reference to our village golf club) was on the brink of closure at the time of writing. Thankfully, now and thriving.
- Once the song was taking shape I contacted Michael Valenti to check and request..
a) He was cool with the name drop?
b) He would be interested in sketching out some cover art? You’ll agree the cover art is amazing and captures the playfulness of the song perfectly.
- The maillot Jaune refrain is a cheeky poke at the stereotype of our auld alliance gallic French friends. This was inspired and kind of a pastiche on my favourite scene in the french movie AMELIE. The scene where Lucien is making fun of his boss on the grocery stall.
- The crowd noise in the break was recorded live at The Brewdog/Crank it up/Zwift event we attended earlier this year in Edinburgh.
- A wee gadge in cargo pants and work boots fuelled with a few free brewdogs fancied a go and this was the crowd pushing him on as he bumbled over the line at least a minute after his opponents. Chapeau
If you like the song spread the word and if you are a cycling musician/artist or both and want to get involved in VELODIO in any way shape or form, give us a shout.